Due to the tradition of medical treatment and springs of curative water, the Varaždinske Toplice are considered among the oldest settlements and healthcare treatment centres in the Republic of Croatia. According to conducted scientific results, in the past few years it has been confirmed that the heat source of the thermal waters are so called return waters, that is, an ascending spring, and it needs 20,000 years for its cycle which is why it is exceptionally rich in minerals. The capacity of the thermal spring is 25 to 28 litres a second, and at its source location has a temperature of 58°C.
Along with medicinal water, fango or peloid – curative mud are also used for the needs of medical treatment at the Toplice. Up until about 50 or so years ago it was used for treatment therapy by applying it directly on the body or as a mud bath, while today it is used exclusively indirectly as a peloid wrap at temperatures of 40-50 °C.
SULPHURIC BATH ACTS BENEFICIALLY ON:
- Degenerative diseases of the joints and spine (arthrosis, spondylosis, …)
- radiculopathy (neuralgia, ischialgia, lumbalgia …)
- articular rheumatism (fibromyalgia, tendinopathy, periarthritis …)
- gynaecological illnesses (chronic infections, renal, ovarian…)
- skin diseases (psoriasis… )
DRINKING CURATIVE WATER ACTS BENEFICIALLY ON:
- chronic stomach and intestine diseases
- reduction of blood sugar (diabetes)
- lowering uric acid in the blood
PELOID (FANGO – MUD) ACTS BENEFICIALLY ON:
- Degenerative diseases of the joints and spine
- Inflammatory diseases of the joints and spine in remission
- Chronic gynaecological illnesses
- Post-traumatic states in the chronic phase.
Medicinal methods have confirmed that the use of thermal water and mud have analgesic action and causes relaxation of the musculature, while the action of thermal water and mud are of a complex nature that is based on the reabsorption of mineral substances through the skin.